Iowa to Derive 20% Electricity by Wind Power

wind turbines

Credit: Pixy

The energy of blowing wind can be harnessed to produce electricity. The wind is a great source of renewable energy. The American Wind Energy Association pointed out that Iowa’s wind generation has generated 20% of the State’s electricity network in the second quarter of 2011. It also said that wind power has increased by about 3% of the nation’s electricity. In fact, the U.S. Department of Energy explained that it has set a goal to generate 20% of the nation‘s electricity until 2030.

The first three major projects of Des Moines utility plans have proved that some changes have come up to encourage projects such as MidAmerican Energy’s new 594-megawatt wind farm, Adair. The wind generation system is already estimated to provide the capacity of about 1330 megawatts. However, its total capacity has reached about 4700 megawatts. As a result of the wind farm capacity of about 800 megawatts, the NextEra, a Florida based company, has become the second-largest wind generator in central and northern Iowa.

The American Wind Energy Association explained that about 7354 megawatts of new capacity was required until July 1. Besides Iowa’s project, many other projects include 845 megawatts in Oregon, 802 megawatts in California, 769 megawatts in Oklahoma, 611 megawatts in Illinois, 501 megawatts in Colorado and 492 megawatts in Texas.

Elizabeth Salerno, AWEA’s chief economist and director of industry data analysis remarked that several regions of the United States have more under-construction projects.

Because of the unpredictable business environment, layoffs and bankruptcies in American manufacturing plants and the supply chain, the AWEA warned that these things will affect future projects and orders. Great to know that Iowa is the nation’s second-largest wind capacity market with the capacity of about 4000 megawatts.

This entry was posted in Sources of Electricity and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Iowa to Derive 20% Electricity by Wind Power

1. Harrison says:

Thanks for making the effort to explain the terminlogy for the beginners!

2. google says:

I liked your article is an interesting technology
    thanks to google I found you

3. peter collins says:

thanx for this info

4. Bubba says:

As Chalire Sheen says, this article is “WINNING!”

5. Geralyn says:

Hey, good to find someone who aegres with me. GMTA.

6. Chamomile says:

No more s***. All posts of this quailty from now on

7. productions says:

I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

8. Johnathan Kovack says:

I am curious to find out what blog platform you’re working with? I’m having some small security issues with my latest website and I would like to find something more risk-free. Do you have any recommendations?

9. Benton Katan says:

Amazing piece of writing. Remember to keep up the brilliant performance.

10. Penni Lenoue says:

I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

11. Cameron Yach says:

Hi there! Brilliant blog post! Now i’m a frequent visitor (very much like addict ) of the website although I had a concern. I am just certainly not absoluetly certain whether its the right web site to ask, but there are no spam comments. I get comments day-to-day. Would you assist me? Gives thanks!

• Yuliana says:

The sun is a big nuclear reoctar, it basically fuses hydrogen atoms into helium atoms. This fusion releases a lot of energy in the form of radiation.When radiation reaches earth, it can be used for many pruposes. Heating is easy, because the solar radiation carries a lot of heat, it can be used to heat water without much technology. But if you want to transform solar radiation into electricity, you need more advanced technology, such as photovoltaic cells, which basically use semiconductors to generate electricity out of sunlight.In theory, you can generate over 1,000 watts per square meter of sunlight (under ideal weather conditions, and near the equator), which is a lot of energy. But photovoltaic technology is a bit expensive, so it hasn’t been adopted by a lot of people. There are some solar thermal power plants, that provide electricity for a lot of people by using a heat engine to transform heat into mechanical work, and then transform mechanical work into electricity.

12. Felisa Seymer says:

IF you’re still on the fence for more posts, sign me up!

13. John says:

Really cool web-site! Appreciate it for taking the time to generate this appealing blog post!