Tesla Motors who recently announced its hot new Model 3 has more than 325,000 preorders. The company says it will be available to its customers only after a year’s time from now. The United States has approximately 340,000 electric and Hybrid cars running on the road. The biggest advertisement made of these cars is “zero emissions” vehicles. It would be really interesting to see whether this “claim” holds true and are they really saving on the electricity generation of the nation.
It is very true that these cars do not use oil for transportation purpose but equally true is they use “electricity” for it. The car on its own doesn’t produce emissions but what about the power plant which generates the electricity required running it? In the country like the United States, the cost of electricity varies across the states and it is more the cost of gasoline.
It is also a point of dispute, whether the average electricity required to run a car per mile is less as compared to the cars using gasoline. With today’s internal combustion engine cars are becoming more fuel-efficient and the increased consumption of electricity by these EV’s with increased no. of passengers, which of these will be economically viable is going to be a point of debate. Only more efficient EV coming in near future can answer it. But the most important is, “when the electricity generation from renewable energy exceeds the standard coal or oil fired power plants, (which are major contributors to carbon emission) these cars will be the viable solution as they will become major consumers of electricity then, which is green”.
Advantages of EV (Electric Vehicle):
- No Gas Required
- No Emissions
- Low Maintenance
- Reduced Noise Pollution
- Safe to Drive
- Cost Effective
- Low Maintenance
Disadvantages of EV (Electric Vehicle):
- Electricity isn’t Free – Also in some countries can increase burden on your wallet
Short Driving Range and Speed
- Longer Recharge Time – Time is precious in today’s jet age
- Normally 2 seaters, so more cars will be seen on the road which in turn increase traffic congestion and issues related to it – an aggressive point raised by people, not in favor of EV’s
- Battery Replacement – Environmental hazard – as it’s not recharged as in case gasoline vehicles.
- Not Suitable for countries facing shortage of electricity
- Some countries do not provide subsidies in order to encourage you to buy an electric car – hence very high initial investment